Has everyone always denied you drinking sugary smoothies? Do they call it unhealthy? Well, as it might be true to some extent, there is a way you can make it healthy and tasty simultaneously. Add a few grams of spirulina powder to your smoothie blend, and it’s done!
In A Hurry? Here Are Our Top Recommendations
Double Wood Blue Spirulina Powder
Lone Star Botanicals Organic Blue Spirulina Powder
Ellie’s Best Blue Spirulina Powder
Spirulina is the source of your daily needs of plant-based vitamins, iron, and protein. Blending it onto a smoothie is a thick and creamy way of acquiring it and rejuvenating your body.
Every time you see a blue or green colored drink, your mind straight away goes to think of a blueberry or bitter gourd beverage. Well, something tastier and thicker can be a healthy drink as well.
All you smoothie lovers, we know you want to get hold of this magical ingredient to satisfy your taste buds and drink something worth a healthy intake. So, we bring you the ten best blue spirulina powder for smoothies.
Read along, and we are going to help you get a better understanding of why spirulina is a game-changer for smoothies.
Best Blue Spirulina Powder For Smoothies: Our Top 3 Picks At a Glance
What is Blue Spirulina?
Wait! We thought spirulina was a complete ingredient, so what is blue spirulina?
To be precise, there are two types of spirulina: blue and green. They both resemble nearly the same properties and are often used interchangeably. But, the difference between blue and green spirulina is that blue spirulina is extracted in powder form from raw algae or green spirulina.
Now that is a bit too nutrigenic for our minds. So, let’s break it down a little.
If we break that down in terms of numbers, then you have 26 calories per 100 grams of spirulina. And as per research statistics, it comes from 63% protein, 11% fat, and 26% carbs.
Green spirulina is a form of edible algae which is in its absolute raw form. It’s like when the farmers harvest spirulina, the product they obtain is called green spirulina.
Now, to make blue spirulina powder out of it, the point of discussion in this article, the manufacturers derive the phycocyanin from the green spirulina and then sell it in the extracted form.
As this extracted powder is pure phycocyanin, there is no trace of green, and it appears as a blue pigment. Hence, we call it ‘blue spirulina’.
So basically, blue spirulina is an extracted form of blue-green algae that grows in lakes, ponds, and alkaline waterways. Unlike green spirulina, blue spirulina powder doesn’t have a fishy flavor and is rich in vitamins, protein, antioxidants, carotenoids, and minerals.
10 Top Rated Blue Spirulina Powder For Your Smoothies
Here are the ten best blue spirulina powder for smoothies, for you to get started on your healthy dietary routine:
1. Double Wood Blue Spirulina Powder – Best Overall
Double Wood is one of the best brands that manufacture blue spirulina powder. The best thing about it is that you’ll get natural food coloring when you mix it with your smoothie blend.
- Oversized Container for Your Convenience; Our container is larger than needed to leave room for the scoop and prevent...
- Highly Nutritious Superfood; Blue Spirulina is perfect for mixing into smoothies and adds natural food coloring
- One Month Supply and Scoop Included; We provide a whopping 1 month supply of 1 gram servings with scoop for ease of use
Every scoop of this smoothie powder will give you 350mg of phycocyanin, which meets your daily dose of nutrients. Double Wood brings in this product with an oversized container to prevent spillage and give you the convenience of having your smoothie.
- Quantity & Serving: You get over 30 grams of blue spirulina in each jar, and a one-gram serving can make it last for a month. One serving is enough to get you the color you need.
- Phycocyanin: The pack consists of 35% phycocyanin extract. Hence, it means each serving will get you 350mg of phycocyanin.
- 100% Healthy: It’s vegan, non-GMO and gluten-free. So, if you’re vegan or your body is intolerant to gluten products, this is safe for you to consume.
- Supports gut health
- One bottle lasts for a month
- Big-sized container to avoid spillage
- Rich in protein, minerals, and vitamins
- Bottle has empty room to be filled with more powder
- Over consumption can make you feel anxious and jittery
2. Vitalití Naturals Organic Blue Spirulina Powder – Best Mineral-Rich Powder
Vitaliti Naturals Organic Blue Spirulina Powder comes in a packet and accommodates 30 servings. The manufacturer harvests the algae in alkaline lakes. Hence, the mineral quotient is higher in such algae.
- Super Blue Superfood - Blue Spirulina boasts an eye-popping vibrant blue that is highly pigmented and works as a gorgeous...
- A Vitamin Powerhouse - Protein, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants – it seems too good to be true. However,...
- A Single Revolutionary Ingredient - We harvest our spirulina from algae grown naturally in mineral-rich alkaline lakes. It's...
As a result, this powder will have more minerals alongside other healthy nutrients. Vitaliti claims to have added no preservatives or fillers to its product.
- Powerhouse of Nutrients: Vitaliti is promoting its blue spirulina powder with respect to its abundance of vitamins and minerals. As it’s extracted from algae of alkaline lakes, the mineral quotient is high in it.
- Quantity & Serving: You get a pack of 30-grams, which will last for 30 servings (1g per serving).
- Genuineness: The product by Vitaliti is USDA-certified, which means the algae has been grown in a controlled environment, and has been tested to have no harmful impurities.
- 100% Healthy: There are no fillers or additives in the product. Following that, this powder is free from gluten and non-vegan ingredients. It’s Non-GMO in nature, which means there has been no alteration to the organic composition of this extract.
- Supports bone and teeth health
- No added preservatives, dyes, or fillers
- Can be used as a natural food coloring agent
- Brand donates 10% of orders to prevent human trafficking
- Comes with a weird taste
- Plastic packaging causes a lot of spillage
3. Food to Live Blue Spirulina Powder – Best For All Dietary Regimes
Food to Live Blue Spirulina Powder offers different-sized packs to meet your preference. It’s raw and has no additives in it.
- ✔️ NON-GMO VERIFIED: Blue Spirulina Powder by Food to Live is a premium quality fine powder. It is a Non-GMO Verified and...
- ✔️ HIGHLY NUTRITIOUS SUPERFOOD: Blue Spirulina Powder is an excellent source of Vitamins B1, B2, B3, Iron, Copper,...
- ✔️ RAW & CONTAINS NO ADDITIVES: Food to Live’s Blue Spirulina Powder is 100% Raw and contains no additives. It’s...
If you’re into the Paleo, Vegan, or Keto diet, you’ll need a good quantity of blue spirulina in your daily life. Hence, you can get the pack you need to meet your quantity needs for the diet regime.
- Quantity: Food to Live is offering you packets ranging from 0.5 pound to 12 pounds. It’s upon you to decide on the quantity you want to purchase, depending on your diet regime.
- Ideal For Diet Routine: Food to Live boasts its product to be feasible for use in Paleo, Vegan or Keto diet. It adds a plethora of nutrients to your diet plan.
- 100% Healthy: It’s a one-ingredient product and has no fillers or additives in it. It’s Non-GMO in nature and hasn’t undergone any alteration tests. Following that, it’s gluten-free, to make it consumable by the people with gluten intolerance.
- Cheaper in pricing
- Good for people of all ages
- Quantity is good when compared to the price point
- Promotes the use of blue spirulina in various dishes
- Gives out a dull blue color
- A slight fishy smell, only if you sniff it up close
4. Ellie’s Best Blue Spirulina Powder – Best Tasteless Powder
Ellie also offers you options to pick the pack of blue spirulina powder based on your quantity needs. The product is on the expensive side in comparison to most of the other products on this list.
- 𝗕𝗥𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗡𝗧 𝗦𝗨𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗢𝗢𝗗 - As one of the world’s healthiest foods,...
- 𝗚𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧 𝗕𝗥𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧 𝗕𝗟𝗨𝗘 𝗖𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗢𝗗 𝗠𝗜𝗫 - This...
- 𝗔𝗟𝗠𝗢𝗦𝗧 𝗧𝗔𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗟𝗘𝗦𝗦 𝗣𝗢𝗪𝗗𝗘𝗥 - Our amazing Blue Spirulina is a...
It claims to be the best organic spirulina powder, because it assures no change of taste when blended in a smoothie or other dish. As a result, you’ll get the flavor or taste your other ingredients should have. And mixing it with Elite’s blue spirulina won’t change anything.
- Quantity: This product is available in packs ranging from 2.11 ounces to 16 ounces. You get to buy a big pack for your nutrient-rich diet routine. Price per ounce is nominal for all sizes.
- Recommendation: The brand promotes its product for the anti-inflammatory properties of blue spirulina.
- Genuineness: This product by Ellie’s has undergone strict tests as per the FDA standards and has been approved to be used as a nutrition ingredient or natural coloring agent.
- 100% Healthy: If you’re up to a vegan diet, then this product here is 100% vegan, and is also free from soy, gluten and dairy ingredients. If your body is intolerant to any of it, then be assured it won’t be a problem with Ellie’s blue spirulina powder. In addition to that, it’s also Non-GMO approved, to prove its genuineness.
- Completely tasteless powder
- Tested to be free from all impurities
- High-quantity buying options are available
- Comes with a smoothie recipe at the back of the pack
- Brand doesn’t accept returns
- A bit expensive, but it offers sufficient quantity to compensate for the cost.
5. Pure Bulk Organics Blue Spirulina Powder – Best For Children
Pure Bulk Organics is offering two options, 1.5-ounce and 3-ounce packs, for you to purchase. It’s specifically for the children to meet their nutrient needs with smaller servings, through a delicious smoothie or other dishes.
- 💙 3 full ounces of blue spirulina powder & 100% satisfaction money back guarantee
- 💙 Blue algae powder provides protein, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, essential fatty acids
- 💙 Superfood blue spirulina has a mild nutty taste & adds natural food coloring to smoothies
The intensity of blue spirulina is low in this pack, making it ideal for children.
- Quantity: It’s available in two sizes, 1.5 ounces and 3 ounces pack. The sizes are small because the brand is promoting it for the consumption of children. Hence, serving per scoop will be less for children, that will make the pack last longer.
- Genuineness: Pure Bulk claims to have used no additive or fillers to its extract. It’s USDA certified for the use of healthy extraction procedures and is Non-GMO.
- 100% Healthy: It’s gluten-free and vegan in its composition, and is a low fat and calorie product. You get pure blue spirulina powder with the product as no other ingredients are blended with the extract.
- Body energizes instantly
- Natural sweetness is retained
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
- Gives a light-blue look to the smoothies
- Price is too expensive for a 3-ounce children’s pack
- American flag on the pack, but made in China is printed on the labels
6. MICROINGREDIENTS Organic Blue Spirulina Powder – Best Affordable Powder
MICRONUTRIENTS gives you a good quantity of blue spirulina at a very minimal price. It’s available in one size for all and has 50 grams of blue spirulina powder.
- Micro Ingredients’ offers fresh blue-spirulina powder that is made from a raw and organic blue green algae extract....
- A nutrient-dense and potent food-grade spirulina powder for shakes, acai bowls, and baked goods that won’t cause a fishy...
- Comes from an authentic spirulina platensis phycocyanin extract that contains 100% vegan protein, vitamins, minerals,...
The harvesting and extraction quality is USDA certified, for which you can trust the potential of it.
- Quantity & Serving: It comes with a 50-gram pack and can last up to 50 adult servings. Adult serving is stated as 1 gram/serving.
- Genuineness: The product by MICROINGREDIENTS is tested to be of nutrient-dense and food-grade quality. Safety tests are conducted at laboratories to ensure that the product doesn’t have any harmful components in them.
- 100% Healthy: The blue spirulina is 100% vegan and has no filler or additives in it. It’s free from soy, dairy, and gluten ingredients. It’s Non-GMO in nature and the product hasn’t been infused with any laboratory chemical for long-term preservation.
- Good quantity at the price point
- Food-grade powder without a fishy smell
- No fillers or dyes are used in the making of this product
- Ensured for purity, safety, and potent nature of the powder with third-party lab tests
- The color isn’t blue enough even when mixed with water
- Color dilutes immediately after other ingredients are added to a dish
7. Pop Joy Blue Spirulina Powder – Best For Blue-Color Appeal
The name does attract buyers, but the price might be off for some. Pop Joy is giving you a pack of 1.76 ounces or 50 grams, one size for all, and charging you a high price compared to most of the other products on the list.
- Blue Spirulina Powder - Phycocyanin
- POPJOY Blue Spirulina Powder is the blue pigment derived from blue-green algae, which is very high in nutritional content. It...
- This magical superfood will add a pop of vibrant blue to your food creations. Blend it into your smoothies, breakfast bowls,...
The strong part of this pack of blue spirulina is the color doesn’t dilute even when you’re done adding all of your ingredients to the smoothie.
- Quantity: It’s available in a 50-gram pack, but is a bit expensive replicating the brand value. Depending on the serving per scoop, the pack can last for up to 50 to 70 servings.
- Diet-Friendly: The product is recommended for people on a Paleo diet. It has all important nutrients for your dietary routine and is a natural extract that won’t hamper your health adversely.
- 100% Healthy: It’s vegan in its composition and is free from soy, dairy and gluten ingredients. The product is made out of only one-ingredient, and has no additives, fillers or preservatives.
- No algae taste at all
- You get a vibrant natural blue color
- Supports the health of the immunity system
- Comes with a smoothie recipe at the back of the pack
- Packaging material isn’t reliable
- Price for the quantity is a bit on the higher side
8. The Reserve Organic Blue Spirulina Powder – Best Recommended For Immunity
As we’re talking about expensive blue spirulina powders, this one tops the chart. You get 1 ounce of Reserve Organic blue spirulina at a cost at which you can get a full 6-pound pack.
- THE RESERVE BLUE SPIRULINA ORGANIC - Meet the prettiest superfood; Our Blue spirulina is a 100% natural and blue...
- BENEFITS OF BLUE SPIRULINA - Blue Spirulina is known to support healthy inflammatory response and has many antioxidant...
- WHY THE RESERVE - Our mission is to offer quality ancient superfoods that you can trust and incorporate into your routine to...
The Reserve also claims a vibrant natural color with its blue spirulina and recommends its product, especially for better immunity.
- Quantity: The Reserve is offering you blue spirulina powder in one-size for all, i.e. 1-ounce or 30-grams pack. It’s ideal for 30 servings (1 gram per serving). If you’re using it for the nutrient needs of children, then the serving size can be less per scoop.
- Diet-Friendly: The Reserve is claiming the product to be ideal for Keto diet. Keto diet is very strict in terms of food intake, and you need all the healthy nutrients you can get from fat-free sources. So, blue spirulina powder can be one of your ideal dietary options.
- Genuineness: The Reserve’s blue spirulina extract is USDA certified, which ensures that the algae is grown under controlled environment, and is free from all impurities. It’s Non-GMO and doesn’t consist of any chemical preservatives.
- 100% Healthy: It’s free from gluten ingredients and is 100% vegan. There are no dairy ingredients in it, which will prevent your body from preventing the intolerance symptoms.
- Antioxidant levels are high
- Great source of vegan protein
- Gives a vibrant blue pigment color
- Ultra-fresh blue spirulina extracts
- A one-ounce packet is very small
- A bit too expensive for the size offered
9. Prescribed for Life Blue Spirulina Powder – Best For Quantity Purchase
The best product on the list if you’re looking for a bulk purchase. If you don’t want to keep ordering small packets of blue spirulina every month, then Prescribed For Life offers you a large pack of 25kg.
- 100% PURE & NATURAL: Prescribed for Life Blue Spirulina Powder is a pure, single raw ingredient. It's naturally gluten free,...
- RICH IN VITAMINS & MINERALS: Phycocyanin is a pigment-protein complex that gives blue green algae its color. This healthy...
- ANTIOXIDANTS & IMMUNE SUPPORT: Give your immune system a boost with this nutrient rich blue green algae powder. It's...
It will keep you in stock of this nutritious smoothie maker for a long time to meet your diet needs.
- Quantity: This brand offers you the largest of all packages, up to 25kg. You can buy a 2-ounce pack or go for the 25kg option, depending on the quantity you want to stock for your dietary needs.
- Genuineness: The algae extracts are tested at 3rd party lab, for its purity. To ensure the genuineness, the brand collects the extracts only from GMP certified facilities.
- 100% Healthy: It’s purely vegan and has no gluten ingredients in it. In addition to that, there are no fillers or additives in it. Non-GMO in nature, which ensures no use of chemical infusions to the extract in labs.
- Available in different-sized options
- Tested for purity and health aspects
- Free from preservatives, additives, and fillers
- The per-ounce pricing is reasonable for all sizes
- Manufactured to be sold only in Texas, US
- No ingredient information with the product photos
10. Lone Star Botanicals Organic Blue Spirulina Powder – Best For Travel
The last product on the list is Lone Star Botanicals Organic Blue Spirulina Powder, which is available in bundle packets. You can buy a pack of 1 and a pack of 10, with one packet of size 1.06 ounces.
- Jumpstart Your Health - Blue Spirulina is considered a superfood due to the many health benefits it offers. Packed with...
- Create Pinterest-Worthy Dishes - Toss your chemical-filled dyes and use spirulina to enhance your next culinary creation with...
- A Single Revolutionary Ingredient - We harvest our spirulina from algae grown naturally in mineral-rich alkaline lakes. It's...
Buying smaller packs will ensure you carry them easily when you’re out on a trip, to not miss out on your nutritious smoothie cravings.
- Quantity: It’s available in 1.6-ounce packets. But, there are options for you to buy a pack of 1 or pack of 10 of these, while placing the order. So, in total, you can buy up to 10.6-ounce of spirulina powder by Lone Star Botanicals.
- Phycocyanin Extract: The blue spirulina powder is 100% phycocyanin, without any blend of additives, preservatives or fillers. It’s Non-GMO as well, to ensure that no lab tests have been conducted to alter the nutrient composition of this extract.
- Genuineness: The product is USDA certified that proves its organic composition. The algae is grown safely in a controlled environment, and is kept free from harmful water impurities. As a result, the blue spirulina extract remains pure and healthy, by retaining all of its nutrients.
- Good deal for the price
- For both adults and children
- One serving is sufficient to get you the vibrant color
- Next to tasteless when mixed with your favorite dishes
- Over consumption might result in skin rashes
- Difficult to take out the powder from this congested packaging
The general way of using blue spirulina is by mixing a scoop with your favorite smoothie blend. After the blend, you can just pour it into a bowl or a glass and top it with nuts, seeds, fruit, granola, or honey to get the desired taste out of your blue-colored nutritious yet delicious smoothie.
As the topic says, we’re discussing using blue spirulina in smoothies here. But, if you have gone through all the products listed above, they claim that they can be used in almost all breakfast, lunch, or dinner dishes to get you the natural color. So, here are a few other ways you can try using your blue spirulina powder and get some picture-perfect dishes on the table:
1. Bluest Blue-Berry Softy or Ice Cream
You can make your blueberry ice cream using the standard recipe, but add the blue spirulina as an additional ingredient. You’ll see the blue-berry ice cream won’t turn out to be purple in shade but will become blue once it’s ready.
2. Smoothie With Pineapple Flower
Follow the recipe for making your best-flavored smoothie, and add a dried pineapple flower on the top. It will be like an embellishment that you add to your usual blue spirulina smoothie.
3. Blue Burger Buns
While baking your burger buns, don’t mind adding some blue spirulina. Well, your next batch of burger buns will have the nutrients of blue spirulina, making every bite of the burger healthy.
We believe you’re now aware of how nutrient-rich blue spirulina can be. But what’s important is to know if your body can take in blue spirulina healthily. As spirulina naturally grows in lakes and ponds, it might be exposed to contamination due to runoff and heavy metals.
Therefore, one point of consideration while looking for blue spirulina powder is to pick a brand that grows the algae in a controlled environment. Following that, the brand must have claims and certifications to prove that the algae have been tested for heavy metals, contaminations, and any form of impurity.
The powder you use for your smoothies should be free from fillers, additives, and preservatives. Read the ingredient label properly before placing your order.
But to make it easy for you, we have picked only the brands that use no fillers, additives, or preservatives while extracting blue spirulina.
Is Blue Spirulina Good For You?
Blue spirulina is good for your health in many ways. It has anti-inflammatory properties to help you boost your immunity strength. Following that, it also helps in proper digestion, improving memory power, developing bone strength, and much more. Therefore, using blue spirulina as a smoothie blend or natural coloring agent is good for your health.
Which Spirulina is Best, Green or Blue?
If you also have the question in mind, “which spirulina is best, green or blue?”, then here is a clarity for you.
Both green and blue spirulina share nearly the same properties. The only difference is that green spirulina is the main form of algae from which the blue spirulina extracts are derived. In terms of nutrients, blue spirulina has more antioxidant properties, whereas green spirulina, the raw form of edible algae, has a higher nutritional value.
Both blue and green spirulina support your overall health. So, there is no such comparison to claim the best pick among them. You can opt for them both interchangeably.
Does Blue Spirulina Have a Taste in Smoothies?
A good blend of blue spirulina extracts the powder form without the fishy taste that persists in raw algae. So, when you add blue spirulina to your smoothie, you’ll have no specific taste of it.
Only if the natural sweetness is retained or the blend has any natural flavoring agent might you get a bit of sweetness after adding the powder to your smoothie.
You should know everything about blue spirulina and its efficiency in giving you the best nutritious smoothie. We have sorted your problem of finding the best blue spirulina powder for smoothies by listing the ten top options in this article.
Now, you have to assess the brand and product quality by starting with a small pack. Later, when you’re satisfied with the quality of the product and its genuineness, go ahead and make your purchase for the big batch.
Keep in mind the factors that we mentioned to you to consider before trusting a brand. You don’t want to buy an artificial blue spirulina product instead of a natural coloring powder. The nutritional value is unmatched, and you don’t have to stick to just smoothies but use it with your other dishes without restrictions.
At My Nutrigene, we tend to bring unique edible inclusions to your diet, which help you improve your health. At the same time, we make sure you don’t have to compromise much on satisfying your taste buds. So, if you want to learn more about edible algae and other health and fitness-related topics, My Nutrigene is at your service.
Also check our post about best spirulina supplement for anemia.