Organic spirulina is among some of the most popular supplements consumed all across the world. As per the research studies, the market size for spirulina on a global scale will reach around $ 989.6 million by the end of 2028.
Hence, this explains the increased consumption rate of spirulina. But what’s the evident reason behind it? Why are people crazily looking for the best organic spirulina powder?
The reason is spirulina consists of a high nutrient profile and effective antioxidant properties in it. It benefits both your body as well as your brain.
Being extracted from either fresh or saltwater, it’s rich in protein, riboflavin, niacin, iron, thiamin, and many other nutrients.
Hence, the easiest way to start consuming and acquiring its nutrients is by adding the best organic spirulina powder to your routine.
Don’t worry, we’ll get you started with this healthy routine, as the article has listed the ten best organic spirulina powder manufacturers for you to choose from.
Best Organic Spirulina Powder: Our Top 3 Choices Compared
How is Organic Spirulina Grown?
Now that you understand the efficacy of spirulina, you must know how the manufacturers grow it to ensure its quality and nutrient retention stats. The manufacturers follow a specific procedure for setting up the environment for the growth of spirulina.
Here is a brief about the steps that they adapt to grow organic spirulina before it’s sent to be converted into powder form:
The manufacturers use a big-size aquarium with sufficient space to grow spirulina in quantity. Next, they purchase spirulina culture to add to the aquarium. Spirulina culture is nothing but a mix of nutrients and some other components which are responsible for boosting the growth of microalgae.
2. Setting Up The Growing Medium
The next step is to prepare the medium where the spirulina algae will grow. Water, baking soda, and sea salt are added to the medium and stirred until everything dissolves.
Following that, the spirulina culture is mixed with good mineral composition within the aquarium. Now, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and iron are added as food sources for spirulina.
In the next step, fresh & unwashed spirulina will go into the container. And one has to keep stirring the aquarium water multiple times a day. It’s because spirulina algae can’t grow in stagnant water.
In 3 to 5 days, the algae will start multiplying within the container. Over time, the water is checked for freshness, and the nutrient content value is maintained at optimal levels. Maintaining the water levels is also equally important, as evaporation occurs in an open-top aquarium.
3. Harvesting & Processing
After a few days, the spirulina is observed to have changed colors from light to dark appeal. Hence, this determines if the algae are ready for harvesting or not.
When the algae are ready for harvest, they’re collected from the aquarium, and the water is drained. After the filtration, the left-out moisture is removed by pressing the algae under heavily weighted objects.
Algae is then sent to the processing machines to reduce them into the shape of noodle-like stripes. These stripes will then be set for drying under natural sunlight for the next few hours.
After the algae is properly dried, it’s crushed and converted into powder. This powder form then undergoes examination and tests for its purity and healthiness before it can be packaged for end-consumers.
Hence, this is how spirulina is grown organically by the manufacturers. You can conclude that the best safe source of spirulina for these manufacturers is to either grow it themselves or obtain it from GMP-approved facilities.
The success of this supplement has even impressed the scientists at NASA. Currently, spirulina is undergoing tests on whether it can replicate the same nutritions for human bodies when grown in space.
Upon the success of such review tests, NASA has decided that spirulina will be grown in space and it’ll meet the food & nutrient requirements of the astronauts.
11 Organic Spirulina Powder On the Market
The manufacturers make sure that the quality of spirulina powder is maintained as the utmost priority. Keeping that in mind, we have brought you the ten best organic spirulina powder manufacturers, offering quality products at the best price range:
1. Zazzee Organic Spirulina Powder – Best Overall
Zazzee Organic Spirulina Powder is a USDA-certified, best overall product in this list. Considering the price point, Zazzee is offering a bulk pack that can last for up to 303 adult servings.
- SUPER VALUE: Our 100% Pure Organic Spirulina comes in a 2.2 pound (1 KG) container. Ounce for ounce, we offer the least...
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Our Organic Spirulina Powder meets the strict organic standards of the USDA. Having USDA...
- LAB-TESTED, CONTAMINANT FREE, AND 100% PURE: Our Organic Spirulina Powder is third-party tested by an independent lab, and is...
If you’re buying it for the kids, then the servings would last even longer. This product is recommended to boost energy, increase stamina, enhance immune support, and stabilize cardiovascular health.
- Quantity/Serving: This pack gives you 2.2 pounds or 1 kg of pure spirulina powder. You can get more than 300 servings from the pack. But, if you follow the ideal recommendation of 1 gram/serving, it can last for up to 1000 servings.
- Wide Mouth Container: You get a wide mouth container to ensure that you don’t spill any ounce of this supplement powder while consuming it.
- Genuineness: Zazzee’s spirulina powder is USDA certified and has no additives or fillers. It’s natural and has been tested in the laboratory to ensure the absence of impurities such as metals, herbicides, fertilizers, and others.
- 100% Healthy: It’s 100% vegan and is Non-GMO certified. The neutral taste is proof of its purity and healthy attributes. Moreover, it’s free from dairy, gluten, wheat, or soy ingredients that might cause intolerance in your body.
- Optimal quantity for the price point
- Comes with a bright green algae color
- Wide-mouthed container keeps you free from spillage mess
- USDA certifications prove its genuineness of organic growth
- A slight fishy smell persists if you smell it closely
- Consumer support team for the brand isn’t responsive enough
2. Triquetra Health Organic Spirulina Powder – Best Reliable With 4 Organic Certifications
Organic Spirulina Powder by Triquetra is a USDA-certified product, which ensures that it has undergone an organic growth process.
- MADE WITH PARRY ORGANIC SPIRULINA - THE BEST IN THE WORLD | We are proud to formulate our Spirulina powder with Parry Organic...
To ensure its organic reliability, Triquetra has also obtained certifications from Ecocert, Naturland, and OCIA. You can undoubtedly rely on the quality of this product.
- Quantity & Serving: Triquetra offers a pack of 8-ounce or 250 grams lasting up to 75 adult servings.
- Genuineness: There are several certifications and tests to prove the genuineness of this product. It has undergone four major organic certifications to prove its production genuineness. Following that, it’s also verified as a USP ingredient and is Kosher Certified, Halal certified, and California Proposition 65 approved.
- 100% Healthy: It’s purely vegan and is free from contaminants. It doesn’t contain additives such as yeast, BMAA, coli, soy, dairy, gelatin, or gluten. Following that, it hasn’t undergone any chemical treatment, solvents, GMOs, or irradiation.
- Ideal for a 100% vegan diet
- Maximum nutrient-dense supplement
- Wide-mouthed packaging for avoiding spillage
- Spirulina by Triquetra meets all global quality standards
- Not suitable for children
- A Slight pungent farm smell persists in the product
3. Sunlit Best Green Organics Superfood Powder – Best Value for Money
- 100% ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Organic Spirulina, Organic Alfalfa Leaf, Organic WheatGrass, Organic Barley Grass, Organic...
- POWDERED SUNSHINE IN A TABLESPOON. By Sunlit Best Green Organics The most powerful, cell-illuminating organic super food...
- JUST ONE SCOOP: makes a great tasting diet smoothie, energy drink recipe. Just blend your favorite smoothie recipe in your...
- Sunlit Best Green Organics Superfood Powder is manufactured exclusively using organic materials.
- The powder is packed to the brim, ensuring that you receive the full amount of product that you paid for.
- If you are considering a detox, this superfood will be an excellent addition to your diet.
- You can say goodbye to the awful spirulina powder flavor you’re used to! This powder can be used to make a tasty diet smoothie and energy drink. Simply combine in your blender with your favorite smoothie recipe.
- There is no soy or lactose in this product. It is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
- One scoop of BodyBrite Superfood in your favorite drink, dish, or smoothie releases a powerful combination of 21 organic fruits and vegetables, as well as strong antioxidants to assist your body clear itself of free radicals.
- Although this product is entirely natural and organic, it may contain components to which you are allergic. Consult your doctor before including this into your diet.
4. Micro Ingredients Organic Spirulina Powder – Best Source of Vegan Protein
Micro Ingredients is yet another popular brand that is quite popular in the spirulina powder supplement industry.
- USDA Organic Spirulina Powder, 1 Pound (16 Ounce), Pure Source, Non-GMO, Non-Irradiated and Vegan Friendly.
- Rich in Vegan Protein, Enzyme, Fiber, Amino Acids (Omega 3 6 9, GLA, Arginine), Flavonoids, Immune Vitamins (Vitamin A,...
- No GMOs, No Additives, No Preservatives, No Fillers, No Artificial Colors, No Flavor, No Soy and No Gluten.
They claim and commit to offering 70% vegan protein with their servings. And this is what gets the attention of buyers toward the brand. Micro Ingredients emphasizes its 100% vegan farming process.
- Quantity and Serving: Micro Ingredients offers you a 1-pound pack of spirulina powder, which it claims would last for 151 servings.
- Genuineness: It’s a third-party laboratory-tested product that has been examined to be free from heavy metals and other impurities. It’s made up of raw ingredients and is fully vegan-sourced. It’s free of fillers and has undergone no radiation during the processing phase. It’s also certified by USDA organic, which ensures its organic growth.
- 100% Healthy: The spirulina powder by Micro Ingredients is GMO-free, dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and tree-nuts-free. It consists of 70% vegan protein and natural chlorophyll.
- Good quantity for the price point
- Guarantees 70% of vegan protein
- Treated with natural sunlight and no radiation
- Blends easily in smoothies, juices, and other beverages
- It has the fishy smell and taste of spirulina powder
- Overconsumption per serving might result in dehydration
5. BNLABS Organic Spirulina Powder – Best Affordable Spirulina Powder
Spirulina Powder by BNLABS is affordable compared to other products in this list. It gives you a 225-gram pack, lasting more than 64 servings.
- 100% RAW ORGANIC SPIRULINA; Nothing Else! Nothing Added, Completely Pure, Natural and Health Friendly, USDA Certified...
- OUR SPIRULINA CONTAINS OVER 70% PROTEIN PER SERVING; BN Labs Spirulina Powder is superior quality and contains just the best...
- HOW WE DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY; Our Spirulina is USDA-CERTIFIED, Treated by heat only, non-irradiated, 100% pure, vegan, no...
It’s a blend of raw spirulina and has no additives. Hence, getting affordability and genuineness in the same pack is a win-win for your purchase experience.
- Quantity & Serving: BNLABS offers you a 225-gram pack, and considering 3.5 grams/ serving, it’ll last for 64 servings. If you’re young and energetic, you can consider having 1 gram per serving, which can last for 225 servings at maximum.
- Genuineness: Spirulina powder by BNLABS is USDA certified, which proves its organic harvesting process. Apart from that, the brand commits to no usage of fillers and additives to enhance the taste or texture of the powder.
- 100% Healthy: It’s Non-GMO certified and is free from gluten, soy, and other components that can trigger intolerance symptoms. The powder is rich in iron, protein, Vitamins, and other nutrients. It helps you with quicker absorption, better digestion, and energized concentration.
- It has a money-back guarantee
- USDA certified for organic growth evidence
- No radiation was involved in the processing of this powder
- Affordable than other products, without compromising on quality
- After-taste of this powder is very overpowering
- Overdosing than prescribed serving can cause diarrhea
6. Kate Naturals Organic Spirulina Powder – Best For Keto Diet
Kate Naturals Organic Spirulina Powder claims its product to be suitable for the Keto diet.
- A TRULY ‘SUPER’ SUPERFOOD: Ready to amp up your daily smoothie or post-workout shake? Take your day-to-day to a new level...
- PROTEIN & NUTRIENT PACKED: Each scoop of this superfood powder is filled with essential vitamins & nutrients, such as...
- PERFECTLY PACKAGED: Our organic spirulina powder is carefully packaged and ready to enjoy in a convenient resealable...
They have done their bit of research into the depths of nutrients that spirulina powder has to offer. And they have concluded that people on the Keto diet can feasibly meet their nutrient requirements with it.
- Quantity: Kate Naturals allows you to choose your quantity between an 8-ounce and 12-ounce pack. Depending on your dietary routine, you can get a bigger pack to make it last for a long time and save yourself from frequent orders.
- Genuineness: The product is USDA Organic certified and is 100% natural, without the blend of any additives or preservatives. USDA certification ensures that the algae used for extracting spirulina powder are grown in a controlled and healthy environment.
- 100% Healthy: Kate Naturals is free from gluten, soy, and dairy ingredients. It’s ideal for a Keto diet and is Non-GMO certified. It ensures low-calorie levels and meets your protein requirements.
- Claims to be Keto-diet friendly
- Naturally enriched with antioxidants
- Available to buy in different-sized packs
- Comes in a resealable container for added convenience
- Emits a pungent smell
- Overdosing might cause allergic reactions
7. Food to Live Organic Spirulina Powder – Best In Size-Varieties
Food to Live brings you a variety of packet sizes ranging from 4-ounce to 2-pound. You have five size options within this window which include 4-ounce, 8-ounce, 1-pound, 2-pound, and 4-pound.
- VEGAN PROTEIN SOURCE: Organic Spirulina Powder protein content (65g per cup) makes it a vegan protein superfood for athletes.
- ORGANIC PRODUCT: Food to Live Organic Spirulina Powder is non-toxic, non-GMO, and 100% organic.
- VEGAN IRON-RICH FOOD: A cup of spirulina raw powder contains over 100% of the recommended daily dose of iron.
If you’re starting with spirulina powder, go for the small starter pack before you can order bigger packs.
- Quantity: You get to buy pack(s) of sizes varying from 4-ounce to 2-pound. If you’re an athlete, then it’s recommended that you have 3.5 grams per serving in your regular supplement. But, if you’re a general consumer, you can stick to 1 gram per serving before gradually increasing the consumption.
- Genuineness: Food to Live ensures its products are free from toxic components and is 100% organic. USDA Organic certification is evidence of the organic growth process of the brand. Apart from that, the brand also ensures Kosher-certified.
- Non-GMO Certified: This product is Non-GMO in nature, ensuring that no chemical has been infused in making this powder. Following that, it also ensures that no alterations are made to the composition of this spirulina powder with preservatives or additives.
- It’s 100% vegan and rich in iron
- Recommended superfood for athletes
- Tastes well even with hot dishes such as soup
- Reasonable pricing, even for the big-sized pack
- Foul smell while passing stool
- Improper servings might make it difficult to dissolve properly
8. Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Spirulina Powder – Best Assured Money-Back Guarantee
Selling spirulina powder in this competitive market is a daring approach. But holding onto the confidence of quality takes your brand to another level.
- Terrasoul Superfoods Spirulina Powder, 6-ounce Pouch
- USDA Certified Organic, fair trade, non-gmo, raw, gluten free, and vegan friendly.
- Spirulina is a renowned source of protein, chlorophyll, trace minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and is also a world class...
Terrasoul Superfoods did that by introducing a 30-day money-back guarantee with its product. You can claim a 100% refund if you don’t like the product within 30 days.
- Quantity: This pack of Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Spirulina Powder is 6 ounces. You can consider it a starter pack to try and taste the product before ordering it in bulk. If you’re new to spirulina, starting with 1 gram per serving is better. When you’re used to it, you can gradually increase the quantity.
- Genuineness: The product is USDA Organic certified and has no fillers, additives, or preservatives. It hasn’t undergone any form of radiation for the processing aspects. It’s also Non-GMO certified, which ensures no chemical alterations are made to the composition of this spirulina powder.
- Responsive Customer Support: To back up their money-back guarantee, they have set up a very responsive customer support team. In case of any refund or product-related query, they’re trained and informed to respond immediately to ensure customer satisfaction.
- High nutrient-dense spirulina powder
- Helps balance the blood sugar levels
- Comes with a 100% money-back guarantee
- Offers muscle strength and high endurance
- Comes with an overpowering raw taste
- Improper dosage causes stomach cramps and nausea
9. Nutricost Organic Spirulina Powder – Genuinely Resourced Spirulina
The best thing about Nutricost is that the spirulina algae are obtained from a GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) compliant and FDA-approved facility. Hence, it commits to the fact that the raw algae are grown and resourced from quality centers that operate in a controlled environment.
- Organic Spirulina Powder
- Superfood Green Algae
- 2LBS Per Bottle, Serving Scoop Included
The brand then processes the raw algae into powder form for selling to consumers.
- Quantity: It’s available in a pack of 1-pound and 2-pound. As per 1 gram/serving instructions, you get a maximum of 907 servings with a 2-pound pack. You also get a serving scoop with it.
- Genuinenes:- Even after spirulina is resourced from GMP and FDA-approved facilities, the algae are again processed into powder form. And, Nutricost gives utmost emphasis to guaranteeing organic practice to achieve the purest form of spirulina powder. To ensure this, the brand has obtained USDA Organic and CCOF Organic certifications for its product.
- 100% Healthy: It’s purely vegan, free from gluten ingredients, and is Non-GMO certified. Hence, you can conclude that there’s no use of chemical infusions or preservatives in the pack of Nutricost spirulina powder.
- Excellent color and quality of the powder
- Third-party lab tested for purity quotient
- Ideal for preparing easy-to-digest spirulina organic capsules
- Recommended for use by animals (Post consultation with a vet)
- Unpleasant strong taste when consumed with water
- Slightly harder in texture which makes it difficult to dissolve
10. Starwest Botanicals Organic Spirulina Powder – Best With Vibrant Color
Among all the qualities of spirulina powder, one stands for the natural color of its blend. Starwest Botanicals sources its spirulina from GMP facilities and claims it to be the purest form.
- Spirulina, also known as Spirulina platensis, is a blue-green algae.
- Today, Spirulina platensis is mostly grown in the United States, India, Thailand, China and Taiwan. Starwest Botanicals is...
- We are so confident in the premium quality of our organic bulk herbs and spices that we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee
They boast the vibrant green color their powder mixes up to produce beverages, water, or other such uses. Such a natural dark green texture is a sign of genuineness for the product.
- Quantity: Starwest Botanicals is offering you a 1-pound pack. But, you can opt for buying two of these packs at once, to satisfy your bulk purchase.
- Genuineness: The spirulina is sourced from GMP facilities and the product is USDA Organic certified. To add to its genuineness, it’s also Kosher-certified, as stated by the Kosher Certification Services.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: The brand shows its confidence in the quality of its product by giving out 100% satisfaction assurance. In case of any query or complaint, they take up the responsibility of replacing the product or processing refunds for the inconvenience caused.
- Perfect for a 100% vegan diet
- Ideal options for bulk purchase
- Helps in reducing Serum Triglycerides
- Blood sugar levels are regulated or controlled
- Overconsumption might cause allergic reactions
- Contains lead, which isn’t safe for pregnant women
11. KOS Organic Spirulina Powder – Best Rated Spirulina Powder
We have added KOS Organic Spirulina Powder to this list because it has been liked by a lot of consumers online. People are amazed by the quality commitment that the product has to offer.
- Blue Green Queen: Spirulina organic powder is a nutritious blue green algae packed with organic protein, amino acids, and...
- Energy Booster: This super greens powder gives an energizing boost to blood iron levels. Spirulina contains all essential...
- Promotes Digestion: Green blue spirulina is truly a superfood powder due to being rich in chlorophyll. It may also help...
Even though most of the qualities of different spirulina powder brands are the same, consumers’ choices should still have an upper hand.
- Quantity: It’s available in a 13.5oz or 381.5 grams pack, lasting up to 109 servings if you consume 3.5 grams/serving. But if you’re new to spirulina powder, then prefer starting with a low dosage of 1 gram/serving. This way, you’ll be able to track the health benefits, and later you can gradually increase the dosage.
- Genuineness: The spirulina is sourced and processed in NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) and GMP-certified facilities. Each batch of spirulina powder by KOS is also tested by an authorized third-party lab, for determining the purity, potency, and quality.
- Acts as a super energy booster
- Helps revitalize the muscles
- Consists of all essential amino acids
- All batches are properly sourced, tested and packed
- Integrated with a slight fishy smell
- Not suitable for people with the hypoglycemic disorder
Choose The Ideal Spirulina Brand, On Your Journey To Nutritious Rejuvenation
Is it Important to Know Your Spirulina’s Source?
Yes, it’s important to determine the source of spirulina because that tells a lot about the quality of the product you’re consuming. Products sourced from specific countries or labs have lead in it, which isn’t appropriate for pregnant women.
You should always go for products that are USDA certified and sourced from verified facilities for ensuring genuineness. Edible spirulina algae should be grown in a controlled environment to prevent harmful water impurities from hampering the algae.
Does Organic Spirulina Contain Heavy Metals?
No, it’s not always the case! If the organic spirulina is sourced from alkaline lakes, there’s a high chance that it might have heavy metals and other impurities. But, when spirulina is grown in a proper facility and a man-made environment, the chances of it being infused with heavy metals are eradicated.
Is Grown American Superfood FDA Approved?
No, Grown American Superfood isn’t FDA-approved. The FDA has still not evaluated its purpose and potential. Therefore, it doesn’t intend to diagnose or treat any health adversity.
Which Country Produces the Best Spirulina?
There’s no evident answer to it because every country has its own sets of testing procedures to verify the quality of spirulina powder. In terms of quantity, Kenya produces the most spirulina among all other parts of the world.
An old report from 2013 stated that spirulina from Australia is of the purest form among all other countries of the world.
How Can You Tell the Quality of Spirulina?
The color reflects the quality of spirulina. After all the filtration and drying steps are done, the dark green shade of the algae is what ensures its high quality. It states that spirulina is high in phycocyanin and other healthy nutrients. Even when in powder form, the dark green color is what will state the purity of spirulina.
Well, so far in the article, you’re now well-educated on how important spirulina powder is and the competitiveness among the brands for its powdered form. It’s all because consumers demand to be on a nutritious track by adding spirulina powder to their diet.
Well, if the health benefits of spirulina interest you, then we have listed down the ten best organic spirulina powder brands for you to choose from. If you want to try a different version, you can also look for the best blue spirulina for smoothies, juice, or other dishes.
Your good health is our responsibility. With My Nutrigene, we’re trying to address concerns related to varying supplements, fitness advice, health tips, home remedies, and other aspects. You can always refer to My Nutrigene for all your health & fitness-associated queries.
Also check our post about the best spirulina for anemia.