Anemia is a serious global public health concern, affecting around 42% of children under the age of 5 and 40% of pregnant women worldwide. Although anemia doesn’t cause unbearable symptoms at first, it still affects every organ in the body. Extreme weakness and fatigue are the most common symptoms of this disease, which can hinder day-to-day life.
In addition to this, chest pain, headache, lightheadedness, shortness of breath, an irregular heartbeat, and dizziness can all be caused by anemia. Furthermore, if not taken care of on time, the symptoms can worsen; therefore, it’s important to treat anemia.
Over the years, spirulina has emerged as a strong candidate to combat anemia as it’s a superfood loaded with nutrients. Therefore, in this article, we’re going to talk about how spirulina works for anemia and the best spirulina supplement for anemia on the market.
Best Spirulina Supplement For Anemia: Our Top 3 Picks Compared
What Is An Anemia?
Anemia is a condition in which the body lacks hemoglobin or healthy red blood cells. This reduces the body’s ability to carry oxygen to the organs and tissues. As a result, the patient experiences tiredness and weakness as the most common symptoms.
In the U.S., anemia is the most common blood condition and affects around 6% of the total population. Younger children and women who are pregnant or menstruating are at a higher risk of developing anemia.
Although there are several types of anemia based on different underlying causes, iron-deficiency anemia is the most common of all. Menstrual blood loss, blood loss with hookworm, pregnancy, or a lack of iron in the diet are the common causes of iron deficiency anemia.
In this type of anemia, the body lacks enough iron, which is essential to make hemoglobin (a protein present in red blood cells). In the absence of enough hemoglobin in the blood, the body’s ability to carry oxygen to the organs and tissues is reduced. This results in shortness of breath and a feeling of tiredness or weakness.
Often, iron supplements are administered to patients suffering from iron-deficiency anemia to treat the condition. But sometimes, additional tests or treatment may be required in the case of internal bleeding or any other cause.
In severe cases, anemia can cause postpartum hemorrhages, low birth weight for the baby, and premature births in pregnant women.
Can Spirulina Help With Anemia?
As we explained above, the most common type of anemia is caused by a deficiency of iron. Spirulina is rich in iron content and thus it can actually help with anemia.
Spirulina contains more iron in comparison to most fruits and vegetables. Spirulina contains about 28.5 mg of iron per 100 grams. It’s interesting to note that this amount is 58 times more than the amount of iron found in spinach.
Several studies (1, 2, 3, 4) have also shown a positive effect of spirulina on anemia. Spirulina works by increasing the amount of hemoglobin in red blood cells. This helps increase the blood’s ability to carry oxygen to body tissues as well as improve immune function. That’s how spirulina supplements can actually help with the symptoms of anemia in anemic patients.
Research shows that only 10 grams of spirulina is enough to cover 80% of a person’s daily iron requirement, which is much higher in comparison to spinach or meat intake.
Besides all this, spirulina is a great alternative to iron and folic acid tablets, which are observed to cause certain side effects such as diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, etc.
Best Spirulina for Anemia
Here we have enumerated some of the best spirulina supplements for anemia currently on the market:
1. Vitality Power Iron + Spirulina – Best Iron Deficiency Support Supplement
This spirulina supplement contains iron (45 mg), folic acid (1000 mcg), vitamin B12 (1000 mcg), certified organic spirulina (75 mg), and vitamin C (100 mg).
- Iron Bisglycinate: The supplement contains 45mg of iron bis-glycinate per capsule. Iron bis-glycinate is a form of iron that is more easily absorbed and gentle on the digestive system. You’re less likely to experience side effects such as constipation and stomach irritation with iron bis-glycinate.
- Spirulina: The supplement contains 75mg of spirulina per capsule. Spirulina helps in increasing the bioavailability of iron. Increased absorption or bioavailability of iron elevates levels of iron in the body faster.
- Vitamin B12: Methylcobalamin or vitamin B12 present in the supplement helps in the production of healthy red blood cells.
- USDA organic
- Third-party tested
- Free of preservatives
- Boosts brain function
- Enhances mood and energy levels
- Enhances stamina and endurance
- Free of artificial colors or flavors
- Might cause mild side effects for some
- Some people experienced mild cramps after consumption
*It’s advised to take the tablet before or after a few hours of taking another medication. The recommended dosage is one capsule a day, with a meal.
2. The Reserve Organic Blue Spirulina Powder – Best For Memory And Immune System Boost
This supplement is composed of phycocyanin, which is a blue pigment-protein complex that is entirely natural. Phycocyanin is obtained from the blue-green spirulina algae.
- THE RESERVE BLUE SPIRULINA ORGANIC - Meet the prettiest superfood; Our Blue spirulina is a 100% natural and blue...
- BENEFITS OF BLUE SPIRULINA - Blue Spirulina is known to support healthy inflammatory response and has many antioxidant...
- WHY THE RESERVE - Our mission is to offer quality ancient superfoods that you can trust and incorporate into your routine to...
- Blue Spirulina: The blue spirulina algae is full of antioxidant properties and supports a healthy inflammatory response. It’s also a good source of iron, dietary protein, and B vitamins. All these nutrients help in dealing with ADHD, weight loss, fatigue, stress, etc.
- Usage: This is the best organic spirulina powder that can be easily used in any recipe or drink. Just dissolve the powder in water, shake, milk or juice and enjoy the healthy beverage. Apart from this, you can also add this spirulina powder to yogurts, oats, salad, or baked goods.
- USDA organic certified
- Powerful antioxidant properties
- Supports healthy inflammatory response
- Might cause mild side effects for some
- Some consumers found the package size to be too small
3. Sunlit Best Green Organics Spirulina Tablets – Best Value for Money
Sunlit Best’s spirulina tablets are cold-pressed and created from 100% raw and organic materials. I recommend trying our spirulina if you’re seeking for a nutrient-dense superfood.
- EASY TO SWALLOW Cold-pressed truly 100% RAW, organic product.
- PROTEIN PACKED Nutrient-dense superfood. 60% protein, amino acids, vitamins, fiber, enzymes and minerals.
- 100% PURE: Third-party laboratory-tested. No detectable impurities or bacteria. Absolute clean.
- Under high manufacturing standards, the integrity of this product’s formulation is unquestionable, devoid of contaminants and microorganisms.
- These tablets provides you with a much-needed energy boost. It is high in chlorophyll and contains proteins, complex carbs, and many vitamins.
- These tablets contain 60% protein and is high in vitamins, amino acids, fiber, minerals, and enzymes.
- The tablets’ size and quality make them very easy to take and swallow.
- These are high in magnesium and other minerals including potassium, iron, and calcium.
- A high-protein source with an excellent amino acid balance, providing all essential amino acids that the body cannot generate.
- Before including this into your diet, talk with your doctor. While these contain natural ingredients, you may experience allergic responses to some of its components.
4. Micro Ingredients Organic Spirulina Supplement – Best With Highest Amount of Vegan Protein
This supplement is made of organic raw spirulina powder (Arthrospira Platensis). The composition is- organic spirulina, or Arthrospira Platensis (3 g), phycocyanin (225 mg), gamma-linolenic acid (32 mg), total carotenoids (12 mg), chlorophyll A (18 mg), and zeaxanthin (2.5 mg).
- USDA Organic Spirulina Tablet from Spirulina Powder Organic (Arthrospira Platensis), 3000mg Per Serving, 720 Counts (4 Months...
- Loaded with Vegan Protein, Chlorophyll, Fiber, Amino Acids (Omega 3 6 9, GLA, Arginine), Fatty Acids, Immune Vitamins...
- Powerfully Supports Energy, Colon Health, Digestive Function and Immune System.
- Benefits: This spirulina powder is loaded with chlorophyll, amino acids, vegan protein, vitamins, fatty acids, fiber, minerals, antioxidants, flavonoids, and phytonutrients.
- Serving: There are 720 tablets (4 Month Supply) in the packet, with 3000 mg of spirulina powder per serving.
- No Soy
- No Gluten
- No GMOs
- No Flavors
- No Additives
- No Irradiation
- Vegan Friendly
- Free of Fillers
- Tree nuts free
- No Preservatives
- No Artificial Colors
- Third-party tested
- USDA organic certified
- Contains 70% vegan protein
- Rich in minerals and vitamins
- Small and easy to Swallow tables
- Caused some side effects for some
- Some people found the smell unpleasant
- It perhaps contains shellfish products that caused allergic reactions in some consumers
5. Triquetra Health Organic Spirulina Tablets – Best Pure Spirulina Supplement
This is a Parry organic spirulina supplement. The brand claims that it’s the world’s best spirulina with the highest nutrient density.
- Made with Parry Organic Spirulina - The Best in the World: We are proud to formulate our Spirulina tablets with Parry Organic...
- MOST NUTRIENT DENSE & POTENT SPIRULINA: Our Spirulina has the most robust and potent nutrient profile - providing you maximum...
- ONLY RAW CERTIFIED SPIRULINA: We are proud to offer the only raw certified Spirulina. This means our Spirulina maintains its...
- Raw Organic Spirulina: As the supplement is made using raw organic spirulina, it’s rich in nutrients and is more bioavailable.
- Quality: The spirulina tablets are free of yeast, E. coli, mold, microcystins, BMAA, and pheophorbides.
- Purity: The supplement is also free of GMOs, soy, gluten, gelatin, irradiation, and chemical treatment.
- Free of fillers
- Halal certified
- GMP Certified
- Third-party test
- Kosher Certified
- Free of binders
- Free of solvents
- USDA organic certified
- California Proposition 65 approved
- Certified by Naturland, OCIA & Ecocert
- Some people experienced other side effects such as headache, constipation etc.
- Some people experienced mild stomach issues such as aches or bloating after consumption
6. Nutrex Hawaii Pure Hawaiian Spirulina – Best to Boost Energy
Composition: Pure Hawaiian Spirulina (Arthrospira platensis), C – Phycocyanin, Chrolophyll a, Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA), Total Carotenoids, Superoxide Dismutase, Zexanthin
- Get your daily dose of one of nature’s original superfoods with Pure Hawaiian Spirulina; We grow it naturally on our farm...
- Pure Hawaiian Spirulina supports healthy aging by boosting the immune system, provides nourishment for a healthy and active...
- Take 6 tablets daily with or between meals and refrigerate after opening; An excellent source of vitamins A, K1, K2, B12,...
- Other Ingredients include: Silica, vegetable magnesium stearate, and chicory inulin.
- Spirulina farming: The spirulina is grown on a sustainable farm in Hawaii with lava-filtered water, natural sunlight, and solar energy.
- Pure Hawaiian Spirulina: The supplement is formulated from pure Hawaiian spirulina which is rich in nutrients. It boosts the immune system, supports healthy aging, and even supports normal cholesterol and lipid profiles.
- Nutrients: These tablets are a good source of vitamins B12, K1, K2, and A. Besides this, they are rich in iron, carotenoids, amino acids, phycocyanin, and antioxidants.
- Benefits: The supplement says to supports the immune system, cellular health, heart, and healthy aging as well as a healthy and active lifestyle. It’s also available in powdered form.
- Soy free
- Free of lactose
- Free of solvents
- Free of pesticides
- Free of herbicides
- Some consumers reported having headaches or migraine
- Some people found the smell to be very strong and pungent
- Few amazon consumers felt nauseous after consuming the tablets
7. Kate Naturals Organic Spirulina Powder – Best for Immune Support
This is an organic spirulina powder supplement. Spirulina is rich in protein, iron, essential vitamins, copper and other nutrients.
- A TRULY ‘SUPER’ SUPERFOOD: Ready to amp up your daily smoothie or post-workout shake? Take your day-to-day to a new level...
- PROTEIN & NUTRIENT PACKED: Each scoop of this superfood powder is filled with essential vitamins & nutrients, such as...
- PERFECTLY PACKAGED: Our organic spirulina powder is carefully packaged and ready to enjoy in a convenient resealable...
- Composition: This is an organic spirulina powder supplement. Spirulina is rich in protein, iron, essential vitamins, copper and other nutrients.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Spirulina is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties, thus, it effectively fights against chronic inflammation and diseases.
- Antioxidant Properties: Spirulina is also said to have amazing antioxidant properties, due to which it helps the body fight against free radicals and prevent oxidative damage.
- Easy to Use: You can easily add the powder supplement to your morning juice or breakfast smoothie or can add it to any recipe.
- Vegan friendly
- Boosts energy
- Antioxidant properties
- USDA organic certified
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Loaded with proteins and nutrients
- Some people didn’t like the flavor
- Some people complaint it has a fishy smell
- Few also complain of it having potential allergens
Frequently Asked Questions Relating To Spirulina Supplement For Anemia
How Much Spirulina Should I Take Daily for Anemia?
There is no general daily recommended dose of spirulina for anemia. But 8–10 grams of spirulina per day is considered safe, no matter what the purpose of consumption may be.
Whether you’re taking spirulina supplements for anemia, to improve inflammatory markers, or to improve immune function, 1-3 grams is a standard daily dose. This is a good place to start. If you think you need to up the dosage, you can do so gradually.
Make sure you aren’t going above the 8-10 grams per day dosage, which is considered safe and tolerable by most.
It’s also important to note here that a 10-gram dosage of spirulina is said to cover about 80% of the daily iron requirement. Therefore, it’s important to plan your diet accordingly. Make sure that you don’t end up with an iron overload (hemochromatosis), which is a serious condition that can further cause other health concerns.
Does Spirulina Affect Iron Absorption?
A study conducted on obese patients with treated hypertension showed a significant decrease in the iron level in the plasma of the patients. The study was conducted to determine the effect of spirulina on iron, magnesium, zinc, and calcium.
This suggests that iron status is affected by spirulina, especially in obese patients with well-treated hypertension. However, more studies are required to understand the impact of spirulina on iron absorption.
Does Spirulina Cause Anemia?
No, there is no evidence that spirulina causes anemia. In fact, several studies suggest that spirulina can ameliorate anemia. Because it’s loaded with iron along with other minerals and nutrients, spirulina helps with iron-deficiency anemia.
It can increase hemoglobin in red blood cells and increase the body’s ability to bring oxygen to the tissues. However, it’s also suggested that spirulina may worsen vitamin B12 deficiency.
How Many Months Should I Take Spirulina?
Spirulina is a natural superfood with a dense nutritional profile that is consumed as an over-the-counter supplement (in the form of powder, tablet, or capsule). Thus, there is no specific dosage or timeframe for taking this supplement.
Doses from 10 grams per day up to 19 grams per day have been used for 6 months and 2 months, respectively, in different clinical trials. However, it’s often recommended not to exceed the dosage stated on the label of the supplement. The timeframe can vary and also be dependent upon the reasons for which you’re taking the supplement.
Overall, spirulina is a good candidate to curb malnutrition and iron deficiency anemia due to its high content of micronutrients such as iron. Moreover, spirulina has high productivity and can grow in diverse climatic conditions. This makes spirulina a potent alternative to iron supplements or a source of iron that is natural and readily available.
You can easily incorporate spirulina supplements into your daily routine in the form of powder, tablet, or capsule to cover your body’s need for essential macro and micronutrients. By fulfilling your body’s need for iron, it can help you deal with anemia and curb its unpleasant symptoms.
Learn about the dangers of spirulina consumption here.