Does Bone Broth for Weight Loss Works?
Bone broth diet is a nutritional plan that has been praised by many health gurus and doctors alike. It uses slow-cooked bones to improve the contents of your diet, and to specifically use bone broth for weight loss.
Some also believe that there are additional benefits, such as increased energy levels and a healthier immune system.
What Is “Bone Broth”, and How Is It Prepared?
Bone broth, often known as stock, is a liquid produced by cooking animal bones and connective tissues. Stock is used as a foundation for stews, sauces, soups, and gravies by chefs. Some people consume it as is.
People have been producing bone broth since the dawn of time. Anthropologists believe that humans ingested liquid laced with bones and other animal pieces as early as the prehistoric period.
People all throughout the world produce bone broth from the bones of surrounding animals. Tonkatsu, a popular Japanese ramen dish that translates as “pork bone broth” in English, is one example.
How Bone Broth Helps in Weight Loss
Bone broth diet aids weight loss by utilizing gelatin protein, which solidifies in the stomach and keeps you feeling full and satisfied until your next meal.
It is also organically low in calories, containing only 30 to 40 calories a cup. It also contains electrolytes to supply energy through the day and to prevent its deficiency while dieting. If you’re doing keto or intermittent fasting, this is a major concern.
What Is the Best Bone Broth for Weight Loss?
First, you need to determine if you are taking bone broth all on its own, or if it will be used a supplement to a particular diet or program. Here are some scenarios.
Incorporating bone broth while doing intermittent fasting (IF)
Intermittent fasting, or more popularly known by its acronym “IF”, is a weight loss approach that involves alternate fasting and eating intervals.
According to the type of fasting plan you’re following, you’re allowed to consume extremely few or no calories during the fasting intervals. This can be tough to maintain, particularly if you are hungry.
Bone broth may be beneficial by giving nutrients and keeping you satisfied. You may consume it on your days of fasting (when you’re allowed approximately 500 calories or twenty-five percent of your regular needs) in order to help you maintain a deficit of calories without feeling deprived. If you’re on a time crunch, you could employ it to lightly end your fast.
Incorporating bone broth while doing weight training
Bone broth is high in protein, which is necessary for weight loss. Protein makes you feel satisfied and full after eating, which reduces your desire to snack on bad foods.
It also helps lean muscle mass expand, which utilizes a greater number of calories than fatty tissue. If you want to gain muscle and lose weight, consuming bone broth with a resistance exercise program can help with your goals.
Incorporating bone broth in whole food diets
Another prominent weight loss regimen that emphasizes eating entire, unprocessed foods are whole food diets, such as the Whole 30 or the Paleo diet.
Bone broth is a good source of nutrients for those on this diet. Because many store-bought brands include ingredients that cannot be consumed while on the diet, you’ll need to either produce your own bone broth or buy it from a Paleo-friendly source.
The Benefits of Taking Bone Broth
- HELPS PREVENT ARTHRITIS. Because of the collagen, glucosamine, and chondroitin in the broth, it is commonly used to help preserve joints and alleviate symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- IMPROVES YOUR GUT HEALTH. Bone broth contains glycine. Glycine has been demonstrated to lessen inflammation in the gut. Glycine can also assist your body in producing glutathione, an antioxidant that protects your cells from injury. Drinking more of it could help you enhance your gut health and decrease inflammation.
- HELPS IMPROVE YOUR QUALITY OF SLEEP. Glycine, an amino acid, is one of the safe treatment options for improving sleep. Consuming bone broth with a light dinner may help, it contains three grams of glycine per cup. This acid has been proven in studies to reduce tiredness during the day, mental abilities, sleep quality, and the time it takes to fall asleep.
- PROTECTS YOUR JOINTS AND PROMOTES HEALTHIER SKIN. The compounds assist to keep your joints and skin in good condition, and they may also aid people who have developed osteoarthritis. It is a source of gelatin, which in your body breaks into components such as collagen and separate amino acids including glycine and proline. These have been shown to benefit your tendons, as well as manage joint pain.
- A NOURISHING SUPPLEMENTS IN YOUR WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMS. Bone broth contains all you need to replenish any lost energy since it contains electrolytes and nutrients, not to mention it helps with satiety as it is very filling.
How Do You Make Your Own Bone Broth?
While there are some broths that are commercially available, here are a few recipes if you wish to prepare bone broth fast for weight loss.
Beef Bone Broth
- 1.5 kg/3–4 pound mixed beef bones (short ribs, knuckles, oxtail, etc. You can ask recommendations from your local butcher if you are unsure which parts to purchase.)
- 2 medium carrots, finely sliced
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely sliced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- one bay leaf
- a couple black peppercorns
- a couple garlic cloves (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit/190 degrees Celsius.
- Place the bones in one layer on a roasting pan and sprinkle with oil. Cook the bones for thirty minutes at a time or until browned.
- In a big pot of soup or slow cooker, combine the roasted bones, veggies, vinegar, and a sufficient amount of water to fully cover the bones. Mix in the bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns, and any other herbs or spices to your taste.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer for 24 hours. The longer the soup is simmered, the more filled with nutrients it becomes.
- After cooking, remove the larger bones, and drain the broth into a large basin through a fine mesh sieve.
Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 1/2 pounds of chicken bones (from two chickens)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium peeled and halved onion
- 2 celery ribs/sticks (cut into thirds with leaves attached)
- 2 medium peeled and halved carrots
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf (if desired)
- Water (filtered)
- Start by roasting the bones, if you will be using an entire raw chicken. Put the bones on a pan and cook for 30 minutes at 425°F. The taste of the broth is enhanced by roasting.
- After roasting the chicken, take the bones and set them in a the pot or slow cooker. Fill with filtered water and add the other ingredients. Bring the entire mixture to a boil in a stockpot, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is bone broth good for weight loss?
Yes! Bone broth offers low-calorie options to boost your body’s nutrition. While it will not help you shed weight on its own, it can be a useful supplement to a weight loss plan.
When is the best time during the day to consume bone broth to lose weight?
Before meals is the best time of day to consume bone broth for weight loss. It contains gelatin, which helps you feel content and full before meals, allowing you to eat less.
It is vital to remember that because it is a natural superfood, it is safe to ingest at any time. You’ll be relieved to know that consuming bone broth throughout the day, at any time, has no harmful consequences.
In the end, you’ll need to determine whether a bone broth diet is right for you. If you’re on the fence, there are a number of benefits associated with bone broth consumption that might be worth considering.
But what’s more, eating bone broth doesn’t have to be an all-or-nothing proposition: if you’re feeling adventurous, consider adding it as an addition to your diet.
And if not, then maybe it’s best served as a supplement. Either way, giving it a try won’t hurt—and there’s also the possibility of doing something good for your body in the process!